CIDI’s Urban WASH interventions
CIDI undertakes urban WASH initiatives mainly within the 05 divisions of Kampala. The organisation is a member of the Kampala Urban Wash Forum,a forum which meets quarterly to deliberate on WASH initiatives within the city. CIDI undertakes urban wash closely in collaboration with UWASNET, Kampala Capital City Authority, National Water and Sewerage Corporation and other partners like Water for People,Netwas Uganda.
CIDI’s Urban WASH initiatives include;
· Community mobilization and sensitization on WASH related aspects through workshops and forum theater, radio talk show and designing wash promotional IECS
· Establishing and empowerment of community structures e.g. user committee, VHTS and advocacy structures to ensure sustainability of project interventions
· Provision of working tools e.g spades,wheelbarrows,gloves,gumboots,dustbins,hand washing cans among others.
· Establishment and empowerment of school sanitation clubs to promote sanitation activities
· Equipping school sanitation clubs with promotion materials e.g. dust bins, gumboots.
· Training sanitation clubs in wash related aspects e.g. Menstrual Hygiene Management and proper hand washing
· Sensitization of pupils on sanitation issues through provision of compound talking messages , IECs e.g. posters, T-shirts, interschool exchange visits and sanitation competitions
· Fecal sludge collection and transportation
· Establishment of sanitation facilities namely water borne toilets, VIPs, institutional VIPS and house hold VIPs