CIDI’s rural WASH initiatives
Besides urban WASH, CIDI undertakes wash initiatives in the rural areas / districts of Napak, Katakwi, Amuria and Buliisa. CIDI wash interventions in the rural areas have benefited over 15,000 People.
The initiatives and the activities undertaken in the rural communities include;
· Mobilization and sensitization of communities on sanitation related aspects.
· Establishment of community structures e.g.peace ambassadors to meditate and create an enabling environment for development to thrive.
· Establishment and empowerment of school sanitation clubs in sanitation related aspects
· Sensitization of pupils on sanitation aspects e.g. Menstrual Hygiene Management, clean water cycle, proper hand washing
· Bore hole drilling and rehabilitation
· Valley dam desilting
· Provision of rain water harvesting tanks
· Establishment of institutional VIPs and communal ones
· Establishment of placenta pits at health centers
· Establishment of incinerators at health units
· CIDI has contributed to increased awareness about water and sanitation related aspects in schools and communities.Over 100,308 community members and school children have been sensitized about improved sanitation and hygiene practices.
· CIDI has contributed to increased accessibility to safe drinking water to about 404,000 people in the country.
· Contributed to increased access to improved sanitation services in the country to over 204,300
· Contributed to improved agricultural productivity in the districts of Napak,Katakwi and Amuria through support for establishment of Water for production facilities
· The organisation has contributed to improved health through efficient and effective feacal sludge collection and transportation initiatives in the city. The service has to date benefited over 327 households and 68 institutions.
· We have formed and empowered over 30 community advocacy committees with lobbying and advocacy skills.
1. Kawempe urban poor sanitation improvement project (KUPSIP);funded by African Water Facility through ADB; implemented in Kawempe division urban council.
2. School water sanitation and hygiene project (SWASH); Funded by WaterAidCanada; Implemented in Lubaga division Urban Council-Kampala.
3. Kampala urban water, sanitation and environmental management project (KUWASEM) funded by Misereor; implemented in Lubaga division Urban Council
4. Water and sanitation project for drought mitigation in Karamoja region (WASHDROM11) funded by Misereor; implemented in Katakwi, Amuria and Napak districts.